Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Somaliland Family Health Association

     Upon arrival to Hargeisa, I visited my first cousin, Sagal. She is what I like to refer to as a 'progressive Somali'. This term refers to Somali people who were brought up in and completed postgraduate studies in Western countries and subsequently moved back home to make a difference. As a first source of information in the city, she advised me of the poor quality of education (she chose a private school for her eldest children) as well as the lack of human resources, in the form of university graduates, to teach in the local universities.   
     In the past two years, she was able to successfully develop a local organization, Somaliland Family Health Association (SOFHA). This organization encourages family spacing and breastmilk for infants, among other health concerns in the developing nation. Working alongside Edna Adan (a former UN employee and Foreign Affais Minister), SOFHA was recently admitted as a member into the International Planned Parenthood Federation (IPPF). As a new member, SOFHA is eligible for funding and is opening an office in the local community. This new organization will likely be one of my many volunteer experiences, as I would be honored to work alongside both my cousin and Mrs. Edna Adan Ismail, a true inspiration to Somali women.

No comments:

Post a Comment