Wednesday, February 9, 2011

First 'Interview'

     Growing up in Ottawa, I wasn't completely aware of the significance of tribal identity for the Somali culture. In fact, I've often refused to answer when people inquired about my tribe, information I deemed to be irrelevant and often misconstrued as it may be subsequently used as a basis for discrimination. In Hargeisa, this principle has completely ceased to exist as an individual's tribal identity is a fact known by the entire city, for better or worst.      
     After a few days of exploring the city and visiting family members, my Mother called her cousin, Nuh, a former educator at Maalim Dawud Primary School. Located a short distance from my Mother's childhood home, General Daoud is a public institution that teaches grades one through eight to both boys and girls. The morning of my interview, I naively believed everything was planned in advance. Instead, on our way to the school, Nuh called the Malmaluud (Principal) of the school and said he will be dropping by with a prospective teacher. I sat in the backseat of the car in disbelief, while my Mother plainly said this is how it works in Hargeisa. No appointments. No heads up. Even a phone call a few minutes in advance is considered considerate. Once at the primary school, I was immediately surprised by the well-maintained structure of the building. There are colorful walls, paintings, and a playground in the middle of the U-shaped school.
     Nuh and I walk into the Malmaluud's office. No secretary. No knocking. We pull out patio chairs and sit infront of the Malmaluud; a young, cleanly-shaven, dark-skinned man, working diligently on what appears to be a school calendar. Nuh immediately begins the introduction. This is (insert tribe here), she is our people and she wishes to teach here. Her grandfather (may he rest in peace) is Jamaac. Apparently satisfied, the Malmaluud asks which topics I would like to teach and when I could start. We agree to meet at 7 am the next morning. And that was it. No request for a copy of my diploma or questions regarding my teaching experience, if any.
     Walking back from the office, through the playground, I questioned if this would be the right fit for me. I felt as though I didn't receive this wonderful opportunity due to my dedication, goals and ambitions, but rather due to a good family name and tribal identity beyond my control. A group of young girls stood outside their classroom.
"Beautiful girl!" one girl, in a heavy accent, exclaimed in my direction.
"What's your name?" another girl asks.
     After a short conversation in Somali, I reevaluated my initial disappointment.These girls and the children at General Daoud were the true reason I traveled here: to contribute to the future of my people, regardless of tribal differences, to the best of my abilities.

11 comments:

  1. Surprised at the fact that you didn't know the strength qabiil plays in everyday life back home. Every conversation with an elder is in reference to your grandfather or father.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol walaal qoloma ayaad tahay? first question u hear over here wen u meet some1. to tell u the truth i actually ask it a lot these days too but not for the purposes that the locals use it. If i recognize a certain accent or recognize a person's family name, i like to play "guess the tribe" and i been here for a while now so i usually get it first try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, walaalo, keep doing the good job, and good luck. By the way that is the school a graduated from, if I closed my eyes, i can see where you are, the played ground, class rooms, see you soon best of luck, in shaallah

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's the strangest thing, while I was reading about your interview I was picturing someone other then yourself experiencing all of that. It still hasn't set in that you're actually there, and that you're going to be the one teaching those kids. I guess I still see us as those goofy little kids(insert cooper cooper hand movements) and now you're in Somaliland and you're ganna be able to effect the future of our youth. I hate to get all sentimental on you but I can't help but be excited for you now that it's real. Can't wait to hear more....oh and I hope you post some pictures of the school and kids soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "it was the best of times, it was the worst of times"
    and you got to see it first hand; the hope and opportunity that comes with rebuilding and helping the kids of today become the adults of tomorrow and on the flipside the backwardness of tribalism that started this whole mess in the first place... but your still fresh, you'll get used to it lol
    T.I.A!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Walaalo,
    I am very proud of you walaalo
    Now you will see how big our family is ,, this should be your next thesis, keeping up with how everybody visiting you is related to you.
    Much love from your brother and give easy tests to the kids. Say hi to everyone.
    Adnan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the fact that you were real about your experience.I am proud to understand a bit about your culture and your point of view. But I think knowing things from your point of view makes the experience better. I am glad that things were not expected because that makes the experience better. Have a good time! and enjoy the experience

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michael, I didn't think it was a factor that extended to the professional realm as well! Anonymous 1, there isn't a guess the tribe here, everyone already knows lol. Anonymous 2, I'll be posting pictures soon inshallah so you can reminisce further. Mimi, I can't believe they let me teach either, supposedly I'm really tough on the kids lol. Mo3, I hope I don't get used to it, but rather be a part of the generation that reverses history. Adnan, thanks for checking out my blog, I miss you! Consuela, I try to keep everything I write on my blog honest, no sugar coating lol. Thanks for checking out my blog, I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't look through the prism of an "outsider" but rather that of a local. For better or worse things work differently anywhere you go in the world not just back home. Adapt and attempt to contribute in a positive way regardless. With change in small increments in mind. Hargeisa wasn't built in one day. lol.

    Keep it up sis.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks walaalo. I have recently came back from Sydney, Australia. Nostalgia really pulled me into Motherland. Our country needs, there somali saying, which states, Ceelna uma qodna cidna uma maqna. "There is not well dug for, and there is no body away for their help." but, in our prospective, let us say, "there is no well dug for them, but there is people who came for their help."
    But take care, there is always Isku filan hunters creeping in the bushes lols, I think you have already understood what I mean, right?

    Keep up for the good work walaalo. Your blog is amazing, I have found it out from waaheen.com

    ReplyDelete