Friday, February 25, 2011

My Ride

     After two weeks of riding in crowded taxis (up to eight passengers at a time at a cost of $0.30) and sitting on empty water jugs on buses (approximately $0.20), I had finally proven my commitment enough to get a car. After visiting a few dealers with minimal selection (almost all of the cars are white) and becoming frustrated with incompetent dealers (it took three days to get a receipt for the purchase), I finally had my car. Before driving on the rocky roads of Hargeisa, however, there are a few essential precautions to take. First, all of the windows must be tinted to avoid glares from people walking by - particularly useful in my case as it's not uncommon for my students to run up to the driver's window to greet me. Also, there must be bolts in the headlights and rearview mirrors to avoid theft. Overall, I hope this new addition will further enhance my experience by allowing me to travel to the outskirts of the city and capture Africa in all its beauty. Feel free to check out the few corny pictures below to mark this occasion.



4 comments:

  1. Shotgun/DJ/I'll lay you out when you speed.

    Good work on the blog, im actually proud to be a shareholder! Ps how the hell do i leave my name on this comment thing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^ I usually do Name/url...just dont put in a url

    I got shotgun on the way back. keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Z, no need to worry about speeding - the fastest you can drive here is 20km/hr, and that's on the best roads lol and Michael, thanks for being such an asset to this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Amal how much does a car like that cost?

    ReplyDelete