Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Fears

     It's probably normal to have some apprehension about this trip. The most common concerns from the Somali diaspora, after being informed of my trip, are usually medically related. Did you get all of your shots? Do you know where to purchase bottled water?
     Although this consideration for my well-being is comforting, none of these issues come to mind when thinking about this trip. My biggest fears are more emotional, intimate and personal.
     The most significant source of angst is the possibility that, after travelling to this foreign land, my overwhelming sense of guilt will not be relieved through my humanitarian ambitions. Instead, it is more likely that this personal burdern, despite my charitable efforts, will be further exasperated after witnessing the daily struggle of a nation seemingly ignored by the international community.
     In Arabic, my name means hope.  I'm going to try to hold onto hope, both for myself as well as for my people.

4 comments:

  1. you probably will feel those emotions, it's only natural but don't ever think your efforts are in vain!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you all the best and good lucky with your trip. I hope you will share your experience with the others in Ottawa

    Qorqoor

    ReplyDelete
  3. A little too late...
    I didn't get my shots or warned about using bottled water before I made the trip myself.
    I was born in Canada so I wasn't immune to anything out in Somalia, 1 week in I got bed ridden for a 2 weeks after drinking some "filtered" water.
    After that though I was superman, immune to everything they put on my plate lol

    ReplyDelete