Sunday, May 15, 2011

Meher Wacan

During my last week in Hargeisa, I attended my first wedding in the city. However, neither the bride nor the groom were present at the celebration. Instead, the Mother of the bride planned the entire event and acted as the representative of the bride. Picture below are the invitation cards given to the guests, with the Mother's name listed at the top and the names of the bride and groom underneath.

My older cousin, Europe, insisted we go at the time listed on invitation cards. I tried to explain that Somali people, regardless of the country, never attend wedding before 8 pm. Despite my pleas, my cousin and I arrived at the wedding hall at 5 pm. When we arrived, the set-up crew was still not present, the lights were shut off, and there were only two other women sitting in the dark on the other side of the hall. After almost an hour of sitting in complete silence, I got so bored I took photos on the chair designated for the bride and then went out for coffee at a nearby cafe.

When other people finally arrived, a hired by the Mother of the bride began the celebration by making a dua'a (prayer)  followed by religious chants while playing a durbaan (traditional drum).



This woman, apparenty well-known in Hargeisa, sang a song upon her arrival.






Finally, the guest of honor arrived. She delivered a short speech in which she asks the wedding guests to sing and dance well because the wedding video will be sent to her daughter (the bride).




The wedding guests greeting the mother of the bride.

My favorite dancer.


The food provided at the wedding: sambuusas (traditional Somali food), xalaawad (traditional Somali desert) and a bottled drink.

Before the festivities come to an end, it is a traditional Somali custom to distribute a small sum of money to the guests.

5 comments:

  1. oh wow..so different than what's done down here. I can't believe money is given to the guests!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, I can't wait to come to Somalia one day insha'Allaah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yh they give money in the UK as well money or qaad.

    Are they mixed weddings or female only more common in Somaliland sis? Because in UK female only seems more common

    ReplyDelete
  4. kkkk the women who is doing the "dua" sounds like man, and why the bride and groom are not there are they out of the country or it is new style to do meher these days .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't believe they were giving money away either! Apparently it's tradition; all the women were expecting it. As far as I know, there are more female only weddings; men usually attend the meher ceremony when the woman is being given away.

    ReplyDelete