Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Miscellaneous

Somaliland held its most recent presidential elections on June 26th, 2010. Although there were numerous delays and some instances of violence in other regions of the country, the elections went relatively smoothly and had a good voter turnout. The winner, Ahmed M. Mahamoud Silanyo, was the opposition candidate, replacing the incumbent Dahir Riyale. Silanyo earned both a Bachelor's and a Master's degree in Economics in Manchester in the early 1960s. During my stay in Hargeisa, he was travelling around the world and was gone for a long period of time. In preparation for his return, the main streets were closed off to the public and the presidential building was being renovated. On the day of his return, I saw what appeared to be a national band. I slowed down, much to the dismay of police officers. That being said, I apologize for the poor quality of the photos, as I was too busy trying to drive slowly while taking photos and watch out for other vehicles in the heavy rain. Oh, and how could I forget the guard who tried to throw dirty water in my face. Let's just say Hargeisa isn't going to be tourist friendly anytime soon.



There are three primary meals in Hargeisa. Breakfast is served really early in the morning (almost always loxox) after the morning prayer. Lunch, the main meal, is served around noon. Caasho, loosely translated as a light dinner, is served before bedtime. This final meal may consist of beans, bread and tea, etc. Here's a picture of me attempting to start a fire using coal in order to make oatmeal. Eventually, after numerous tries, I had to ask for assistance.
In Somali culture, when a baby reaches forty days old, a celebration is held called Afaartan Biix. Traditionally, it is said that prior to this day, only immediate family is allowed to hold the baby. On the day of the baby's Afaartan Biix, the Mother chooses an individual of the same sex whom she hopes will serve as a role model for her baby. During my first month is Hargeisa, my brother, Ahmed, had an Afaartan Biix for his daughter, Amran.

Amran and her Mother, Fosia.

Amran and her older sister, Amira.

In Hargeisa, most people don't use washing machines. Instead, they handwash their clothes using detergent powder and then hang them on a clothing line to dry.

My first henna tattoo in Hargeisa.



 My first caasumad (dinner party) in Hargeisa. This feast was only for myself and my Mother. My favorite was the colored fries;they were green, orange and yellow.


In Hargeisa, the most commonly used banknote is the five-hundred Somaliland shilling (less than twenty-five cents). As it is the highest banknote available, people often carry money in plastic bags. In these pictures, men are carrying large sums of cash in carry-on (wheelbarrows).




In 2006, two of my Aunts passed away. In memory of the deceased, my cousins purchased two sheep as a form of zakat, an Islamic tax given to the less fortunate. The sheep were purchased from the market (approximately $50 each) and a woman was hired to slaughter the animals. The meat was then distributed to family and neighbors.






My cousin and nephew carrying the other sheep oto my Aunt's home to be slaughtered. Needless to say, my nephew was very, very upset.

6 comments:

  1. woooooooow girl i became addictive to your blog,and thanks for sharing this information, the part you are trying to prepare the coal is funny it is hard work only the local women can handle that, the ship laugher picture is little bit disturbing or maybe i am animal activist or something kkk finally walaalo i like ya blog i visit it everyday trying to check if you posted something new keep it up walaalo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol thanks for the comment, as for cooking, I tried my best. In regards to the slaughter, I have an interesting update. On my way to the Hargeisa Int'l Airport, right in front of my grandfather's home, my cousin ran over one of the sheep belonging to this woman! The funny thing is,she acted as though we killed one of her children. After a lenghty negotiations process, she recognized me and said hello as if nothing happened. Thankfully, I didn't miss my flight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a muslim living in a muslim country but i have never seen or heard of a woman slaughtering animals before, let alone doing it alone. Did she ecite the prayer while slitting the goat's throat. I am surprised how the goat doesnt kick around much even though she isnt properly holding it down, Amazing!! btw who skinned and cut up the goats?

    ReplyDelete

  4. Actually this blog maintaining a special and appealing information.Thanks for share with us. Keep it up.
    Click Here : track excavators for sale used excavator cat-336el

    ReplyDelete