Thursday, May 5, 2011

Road Trip: Laas Geel

While planning my journey to Africa, a friend showed me a video on Youtube about three Caucasian college kids from America and their visit to Somaliland. Over the course of their trip, the young men met and interviewed Sada Mire; the head of the Archaeology Department located in Hargeisa. Ms. Mire spoke about the discovery of ancient drawings, dating back to 3000 BC, in Laas Geel, Somaliland. She emphasized the significance of these ancient drawings for Somali history as well as the importance of preserving this site. As soon as I saw this video, Laas Geel instantly became a top priority on my to-do list. The colorful cave paintings depict animals (dogs, cows, etc.) as well as men and women. With that said, I hope you enjoy the photos as much as I enjoyed visiting this region; a source of unification and pride for Somalis around the world.




































The scales shed by a snake.







According to the guide, this is the prison used by the inhabitants of Laas Geel. I climbed up and saw the dark and narrow hole and concluded that an individual would not be able to stand while locked inside; they would be forced to crawl inside and lie down.



The conference hall.





The burial site of an SNM soldier.




































 A woman lost her camel and climbed to the top of the mountain to see if she can spot it.






The women depicted in the cave drawings are often larger and rounder.









6 comments:

  1. Hey Amal. Nioe pics. I loved it

    Ismael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Asalamu aleikoum
    Assia and I would like to thank you for the pictures, they are great.
    Take care walaalo .

    ReplyDelete
  3. are you wearin surwaal AKA jean on that pic or it is my eyes and if it is yes didn,t hargaysa kids throw stones at you becouse of that,that is first part is kaftan, masha allah walaal thanks for posting this pics i miss somaliland .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for checking out my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blog. Your photographs tell a story. You must have spent there a while on the site, really shows the love and passion you have for your country.

    I traveled there July 2011, I really enjoyed visiting Laas Geel, I felt the presence of my ancestors. I just wanted to sit there all day!


    Best blog about Laas Geel tourist site I have seen so far.


    By the way there is a national tourism organisation for Somaliland;

    www.facebook.com/visitsomaliland


    Hey thanks for sharing.

    Abdi

    ReplyDelete