Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Awowo (Grandfather)

One of the purposes of this trip is self-discovery. Prior to embarking on this journey, I had never thought of the lives of my grandparents, both maternal and paternal, as I never had the chance to meet any of them. As a result, all of the information I have received during my time in Hargeisa, including stories of the lives of my grandparents, their professions, etc., is all very new. In an effort to make up for my lack of interest over the course of my lifetime, I have decided to dedicate posts to share my new discoveries. To my surprise, both of my grandfathers, Dahir Adan and Djama Haid. built homes in the same neighborhood. A mere ten minute walk from eachother, both homes are located in the Sinai region of Hargeisa (the same neighborhood as Maalim Dawud). The only difference is that whereas my maternal grandfather's home was rebuilt after the war and passed down to his eldest son, my paternal grandfather's home is currently vacant. As I have already shared photos of my maternal grandfather's home (my Mother's childhood home), here are photos of my first visit to my paternal grandfather's home.













3 comments:

  1. Hahah wow so similar to me. I never met both my awoowo :( AUN

    But they were great man and I heard stories that they both lived on the same street knew each others, and both build houses close to each other. However they were both RIVALS. I find it so funny, as they were both feared men and had high status in the community I guess it was a battle of who is the chief of the village :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a coincidence; our stories are very similar! One of the bst parts about visiting Hargeisa is that the local people can tell you stories about family members that you've never met before. Thank your for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete