Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Favorite Videos

   In an earlier post, I shared my experience interviewing Oromo migrants living in Hargeisa. In addition to the photos and reports I helped produce with ASAL, we also taped some interviews with Oromos living in the area. In the first video, the man on the left is the Director of ASAL, the man in the middle is the landlord and the man on the right is a victim of an attack (he was stoned in the head and chest). The interviews are conducted in both Oromo and Somali. The random translations in English are provided by yours truly.



While traveling with a film crew in Somaliland (upcoming post), I met a young girl named Amal. I was so pleased to meet another girl with the same name, I asked her about school, her hobbies, etc. In this video, I asked her to count to ten in English.

One of my favorite classes at Maalin Dawud. My grade five students are usually more rowdy but once I turned on the camera, they sat incredibly still and recited the lesson perfectly.

One of my favorite moments at Maalim Dawud is when I found out about the student council. The following video is from the school assembly during which the new school signs are first introduced to the students. The speaker is Awaleh, the school President and artist behind the posters.


Here's an interview with a student council member (ignore my heavy accent; my Somali is a work in progress).

3 comments:

  1. Nice videos
    ismael

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhmazing!!! I am happy that you are able to touch the hearts and minds of these young leaders and I hope your experience is all that you hoped it would be. These are the stories that give me inspiration and I truly admire what you are doing back home. Keep up the good work Amal!!!

    - Yasmeen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Yasmeen! Can;t wait to catch up with you!

    ReplyDelete