Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Harar, Ethiopia: Part 1 of 2

     In the middle of my trip to Dire Dawa, my cousin and I visited Harar, Ethiopia. 
     A city located in Eastern Ethiopia, Harar is one of the most ancient cities in Africa. With over eighty mosques, the holy city of Harar is surrounded by seven walls, built between the 13th and 16th century. Historically, it was used a trade route between East Africa, the Arabian Peninsula, and the rest of the world. 
     In addition to its historical legacy, Harar also produces world renowned coffee. My cousin and I stopped for coffee on atleast two occasions, which forced me to use public washrooms; an experience I would rather not share in detail. 
      Finally, the local people living in the city are referred to as Harari. Although the Harari are made up of and have daily contact with several ethnic groups, they make an effort to maintain their unique culture by speaking their native language, Adere, to one another as well as discouraging marriage to any other ethnic group.
     Oh, did I forget to mention they produce world renowned coffee consumed around the world? My cousin and I enjoyed enjoyed the delicious coffee on several occasions during our short trip to this beautiful city.















 













This meadow used to be a water reservoir. The water is now almost completely gone, with only a few puddles to give any indication of its previous state.















The entrance to the city.


































 

Our tour guide.


The Arthur Rimbaud Cultural Center, the well-preserved hundred year old mansion of 19th century French Poet Arthur Rimbaud.

A brief history of the mansion including the efforts made to restore and maintain the ancient property.











No comments:

Post a Comment