Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Chillin': Weddings & Concerts

Although it's difficult to 'chill' in Djibouti, I try to make the most of my time here by attending social events, including weddings and concerts.

In mid-May, my cousin and I attended a relative's wedding at the Sheraton Hotel. A few days before the wedding, my cousin Hodan and I brought some African material from Kenya to a tailor to make customized dresses. On the day of the wedding, after picking up the dresses (they were a few sizes too big so we had to pin them), we arrived home only to find the electricity was cut off. Not only were we unable to iron our dresses, we were forced to bathe in the complete dark and apply makeup using a flashlight and a handheld mirror. It was only after this experience that I fully understood the magnitude of the heat in Djibouti; while applying my makeup, I would start sweating, pat my face with a towel, reapply my makeup, and on and on. Thankfully, despite all of the chaos, we arrived at the wedding on time.

An innovative component of the wedding is that, since the bride's family lives abroad, Skype was used as a means of communication between the bride and her family. The screen is pictured below.

The bride is wearing the purple dress.



My cousin, Hodan, and the bride jamming on the dance floor.

My dress.

Halfway through the wedding, the bride and groom changed their outfits for the traditional component of the evening.

Another wedding in Djibouti that occured during my stay in Djibouti.

In addition to weddings, we also attended two concerts in the city. The first was a charitable concert at the Cultural Centre in Djibouti. The performers included Fourchette as well as a few others.

A Djibouti rapper performing his latest reggae song.

The second concert we attended, this time accompanied by cousin Mimi, included artists from around the world. The first video is an R&B artist from Martinique singing a remix of Christina Milian's hit 'Dip it Low'.



Did I mention a performance by Fat Joe? He sang several hits including 'Lean Back' and 'New York'.


1 comment: