Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Welcome to Djibouti

Four months into my journey, I've reached the second phase of my trip. If everything goes according to plan, I'll be spending the next few months in Djbouti, Djibouti; a city in a small country in East Africa. Here's my journey from Hargeisa to Djibouti as well as a few photos to document my first few days.

Touchdown.





My first girls night out in a very long time. The outdoor restaurant had a screen playing music videos.
 

A beach in the neighborhood. The curfew for swimmers is maghrib (sunset). One evening, some teenaged boys refused to get out of the water. In response, a man in charge of enforcing the curfew took off his clothes and stripped down to his underwear. He then proceeded to swim towards the defiant boys. Once he reached them, he repeatedly hit them with a stick while onlookers laughed at the scene.


These women on the street sell freshly squeezed orange juice, sambuusas, etc.

All of the buses in Djibouti have names written on the back or on the sides in big, bold letters. So far I've seen Kanye West and R. Kelly, but my favorite is the one pictured below. 

How could I not take a picture of the khat stands? I still can't figure out why they have "Masha Allah" written on the front.




My Uncle purchasing his daily dose.


The immense discrepency in living standards in Djibouti is apparent by comparing the white homes in the background and the hut pictured below.















These women are hired to clean the streets of Djibouti. They often work late at night cleaning busy streets.
















3 comments:

  1. After all, great to be there in Djibouti. A place I want to visit someday.
    by the way, would you please visit my blog and make even a single hit for my ads. I'll be very pleased when u do so for me.
    nice to be here with you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading my blog, Edy. Your blog is looking great, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice shoots but djibouti is getting worst year after year...visit my page on facebook welcome to djibouti.thanks

    ReplyDelete