Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A New Direction

     A month into my stay in Djibouti, and I have yet to find a worthwhile volunteer experience.  In all honesty, I can’t say I dedicated myself completely in my search. Instead, I adopted the role of being a tourist; traveling to other cities, going to the beach, and staying with family. In the midst embarking on road trips and forging new family relationships, I continued to search for volunteer jobs via the internet, word-of-mouth (which I was told is the most efficient way to land a job in Djibouti) as well as dropping off resumes at numerous organizations. After weeks of frustration, I’ve finally come to the conclusion that it just wasn’t meant to be. At least for the moment.  After finally coming to this conclusion and weeks of wallowing in self-pity, my family offered I take a new direction. As surprising as this may sound, I never thought of altering my initial mission for my journey to the Motherland. Although I still hope I don’t have to abandon my ambitions completely, I’ve chosen to make the most of my time here instead of prematurely going back to Canada. In Islam, it states that “All good things come to those that wait”. Now more than ever, I hope that’s true.

1 comment:

  1. InshaAllah all things will work out...Your missed in Ottawa....
    Love
    Hibak

    ReplyDelete