Monday, March 14, 2011

The Marketplace

This is what it looks like inside the buses of Hargeisa. There is a boy at the door who collects the money (1000 shillings) from the passengers. There aren't any designated stops so passengers yell at the bus driver to stop when they want to get off.

In the marketplace







This is Asli Mills, one of the few locations in Hargeisa where tourists can purchase 'traditional' African souvenirs.




The people sitting on the ground are selling used clothing. It is extremely popular in Hargeisa.

On the way back from the marketplace, I happened to sit beside one of my grade eight students on the bus(the one sitting beside the window) and his friend. He explained to my Mom what we learned in social science class (I sometimes sit in classes to improve my Somali).

Before my Mom's flight, she bought two huge portions of khat as a gift for my uncles and cousins in Djibouti. This is me tasting a leaf (it tastes really bitter).

3 comments:

  1. Good post Amal, I was waiting on a new post, its true they always know about who and what your up to. I call it the wire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey amal, do not chew khat and drive. it is illegal in hargeisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha in Guyana we call that guy the conductor" or "conducta" and yell out the stops by landmarks too ! Lol

    ReplyDelete