Thursday, April 7, 2011

Schoolgirls

     In my experience at Maalim Dawud, I've noticed several distinct traits of the schoolgirls, especially the ones in the older classes.
     First, I found it surprising how the girls express their individuality through their clothes, even though they wear a uniform. For example, some of the girls loosen their hijabs and wear colorful scarfs underneath with matching jewellery, shoes and a purse.
     Second, when girls get into fights at school, it's as though the whole school shuts down. They scream at the top of their lungs, slam their books, swear at teachers, pull eachother's hijabs off, etc. In these situations, it's difficult to keep students focused on a lesson, something I've learned after I realized how difficult it is to force myself to look away.Beyond my shock at these theatrics, my teenaged cousin who attends a local high school told me that it is not uncommon for girls to bring mini-blades, used to sharpen pencils, to school in preparation for a fight. After hearing these stories, confirmed by other high school students, I've started to notice several young women with clean cuts on their faces, although these observations maybe the result of paranoia. In contrast, when boys get into fights, after they are separated, it only takes a few minutes before they're sitting next to eachother and talking as though nothing happened.     
    Third, there have been several instances of girls fainting in class; an occurence Somalilanders refer to as being 'possessed'. After these girls leave the classroom screaming, they are taken into another room where fellow classmates read Qu'ran outloud. I've become so accustomed to these interruptions that I jokingly ask my class who's going to be the first boy to faint in school.

5 comments:

  1. Hey there, just another member of the Somali diaspora. I'll be heading to Hargeisa this summer and was just wandering if there were places that I could volunteer, particularly with youth. I've tried searching the internet and sending e-mails but have not been receiving responses. It is more a show-up and ask sort of thing, or do you need to plan ahead. I have never been back home and I was thinking about getting involved and meeting native Somali's and other members of the diaspora community. (Plus, I dont want to just be stuck in a house for the next 3-4 months) Any help will be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I'm thrilled you're interested in volunteering. You're right, it is more of a show-up and ask type of thing, so don't take it personally if you havn't received any responses to your emails. Email me at amalj56@gmail.com and I can give you plenty of contact information and answer any other questions you may have. There are over 900 organizations in Hargeisa, so it won't be a matter of whether or not you'll have the opportunity to volunteer, but rather which organization would be lucky to have you. Talk to you soon inshallah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you kidding me anonymous? There are so many organizaiton that need the diaspora's help..I myself thought about joining this prestigious school called Abaarso Tech run by two harvard educated Americans. I spoken to them and they were more than ready to have me but I had other engagements to handle. So google up Abaarso tech and you'll be suprised what they are doing down there. Btw, Amal/Mustaqbal why didnt you look into Abaarso Tech?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Hajj,

    I have not heard of Abaarso Tech before, but after reading your comment, I visited their website. It looks like a great school! Good luck with your placement.

    ReplyDelete