Sunday, April 3, 2011

Migrants in Hargeisa

     In the past month, I've started volunteering with a ASAL (roughly translated as genuine, original), a local organization dedicated to youth, education, and justice, among other things. One of the projects I've been helping with is migrant rights, specifically the living conditions of the Oromo populations in Hargeisa. These populations, consisting of both Somalis and Oromos from Ethiopia, settle in specific neighborhoods in Hargeisa, including the one pictured below.
     Prior to visiting their homes and conducting interviews, an Oromo man consulted with the individuals living in these areas to explain our project and ask for their consent. While interviewing specific individuals, he worked as a translator, translating from Oromo to Somali. In our interviews, we spoke with men who claim they were stoned by Somalis from Hargeisa, a woman whose three sons died in Xamar, the landlord of this community, as well as a woman who claims she was kicked in the stomach by a Somali man when she was nine months pregnant, causing her to lose her unborn child. 
     The following are a few pictures and videos of the project so far.



According to the adults, none of the children living in this area attend school. Instead, they are sent out in the morning by their parents to go downtown and ask for money.







While walking through this neighborhood, I caught a glimpse of bright colored jewellery in a dark home. I walked closer and peeked inside to find this baby home alone. The children standing outside the door
informed me that his mother went to the market. 

 For some unknown reason, I focused on the children's feet and noticed that some of them are missing their toenails, an outcome I presume of their long travels from home to Hargeisa. 

On our way back, a woman stopped us and asked if we would like to meet her disabled children.


A little girl holding a torn notebook.

12 comments:

  1. The toe nail part reminded me of "Dracunculiasis" a disease which is a worm that grows and travels down your foot and eats its way down, caused by water that is infested with larvae. I seen some stuff like that when I was in Ethiopia. Usually in younger kids it goes under the toe nails and they break the toe nails to get at the worm, atleast thats what I was told. Somali translation "Doodi"
    P.s
    Hiya Amal keep safe, dont lose your balance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Asad, thanks for the information, it's going to be useful for a report I'm currently working on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please do me a favour and take down the picture of a child that is alone with no clothes. Great pictures overall and don't get me wrong I like your post but just take into consideration the types of pictures your posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salam walal, thank you for your suggestion. The purpose of this blog is to share my experiences in their entirety. If I begin to selectively choose what I will and will not post because of fear of what viewers may think, it would defeat the purpose. Thank you again, and I hope you understand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your posted, an addicted sister...
    Keep up the great work!
    Miss you loads
    Hibak

    ReplyDelete
  6. In my personal opinion, I really don't support the illegal migration of Oromos into Somaliland. When you look at the migration problem in America, you see the Mexicans running/swimming/driving to the states to find jobs and work. When they get into the states and start working, they buy food, pay rent for homes, buy clothes and necessities (pretty much bring back to the American economy). The majority of Oromos here do absolutley nothing but suck the country dry of things they barely even have. They beg for food, they beg for clothes, they beg for money to buy food and clothes. They get their free food and the same clothes they wear every single day and it is a known fact that they take the money they are begging for all day and send it back to Ethiopia and do god knows what with it. I guarantee if the Oromos were deported back to Ethiopia, the amount of people begging in the streets would decrease by more than 90%. The amount of low standard houses built in un-livable conditions, would also decrease. Bottom line is I don't know what Oromos do in Ethiopia, but I see what they do here in Somaliland everyday. They make us look a lot more poor than we are. They take advantage of our kindness and beg 24 hours a day for everything. Why can't they be like other Ethiopian immigrants who come here and start working and actually spend their money here. I am totally 100% for the deportation of illegal immigrants in this country. Especially the Oromos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. To the comment above... it’s a bit ridiculous to suggest that people that live in those conditions are "sucking the country dry". the fact that so many people prefer poverty & starvation in a foreign land to life at home.. you can imagine just how bad the conditions in their home country must be...

    As for post, great post Amal! i love the details in your pictures

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey,
    Been awhile since I seen your blog, just wanted to let you know I'm incredibly proud of you. Keep on trucking...

    Love A.W

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with anonymous..Only people who have been in Somaliland know the impact of this issue. Oromos have made beggin in the streets of Hargeisa a career. The children are used by their parents to beg all day through rain and sunshine. We ourselves are poor so I think they should be deported back to Ethiopia. I also believe that should be done humanely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Writing posting this entry, I didn't expect to receive negative responses, however I appreciate the fact that it has incited an intense debate.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just want to comment on this issue a bit! I am currently conducting a research with another person about the poverty among these refugees - predominantly Oromo. Now one thing that makes absolutely no sense is the fact that they all make begging a career......and the fact that they dont want to work. I would simply ask one of them to walk in the sun continously for the whole day begging for 100 shilling and see how long they last. Using common sense, isnt that more tougher than getting a job? The initial result of our research is that the lack of connections and family to support them is the reason behind their poverty.
    For those who do work, a lot of them are abused orally most of the time and sometimes physically because they are refugees and people know they cannot do anything about it! I would ask for some rational comments because we are logical people here!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Anonymous,

    Thank you for providing your unique perspective on this topic! However, I would like to clarify a few points.
    To the best of my knowledge, the Oromos in Hargeisa do not 'all make begging a career...'. In fact, a lot of Oromo people find jobs as housekeepers and xamaals (transporting goods using wheelbarrows or donkeys), etc.
    Furthermore, for a lot of these migrants, finding employment in a foreign land with over 90% unemployment is nearly impossible. Therefore, facing these barriers to employment, there may not exist any other alternative to make a living.
    Finally, for a lot of these migrants, begging for money is simply a temporary solution so that they may collect enough money to return home.
    I would like to remain updated on your research so please e-mail me at amalj56@gmail.com. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete