Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Dire Dawa, Ethiopia: Part 3 of 3

I spent my 22nd birthday in Dire Dawa, my first birthday in Africa. My cousin's wife, Hanan, threw me a surprise party at home (actually, my cousin spilled the beans and I acted surprised).   


My delicious birthday cake!

On my last day, my niece, nephews and I went out for ice cream at a local cafe. My 8-year-old nephew, Ibrahim, proved to be a terrific translator (he speaks the local language and was able to order deserts).









Construction workers using handmade stairs.  

On our way downtown, Awaleh and I saw this horse parked right infront of our door. I climbed in and took a few photos before its owner caught us in the act.


Before leaving Dire Dawa, my cousins had to purchase tons of kilos of khat to bring back to our relatives in Djibouti. Here's Lapin (a family friend) picking out the precious plant. 

What isn't captured in the photo: while Lapin was negotiating with the woman selling the khat, there was a huge crowd of people begging us for money. Lapin blamed this scene on the fact that the locals were able to instantly detect we were outsiders, most likely because Lapin was unable to speak the local language (but still wanted to avoid getting ripped off) and I was taking photos with a camera laughing.

This is one of the women that eventually approached us.

Lapin paid this young man to wrap the khat in grass.

The young man securing the khat with rope.


On the road back to Djibouti.















Monkeys! Fun fact: in Hargeisa, Djibouti and Dire Dawa, the children make an acitivty out of chasing monkeys, including throwing rocks and other items, out of neighborhoods.

























2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I stumbled across your blog today , and can't quite remember what I was looking for, because I literally sat and read the entire blog!!!

    After reading your entries ,I truly believe you are a young person with amazing qualities.To first decide to embark on the journey and then embrace all that came your way, is truly inspiring .It requires strength and a certain level of maturity that even many grown up people cannot claim to possess.

    The volunteering at the school and the teaching is an eye opener as to what the Somalis in the diaspora can contribute to the country.

    It is very encouraging to see someone from your generation taking an interest in the plight of poor and needy people in Somaliland and to realize how empowered they are to be able to make a difference however small it may be.

    With regards to the movie you mentioned in your blog, it's based on a book entitled "Half the Sky" By Nickolas Kristof who is a writer for the New York times. It is an interesting book and would encourage you to read it.

    Thank you for sharing your wonderful experiences and pictures.I wish you well and good luck on this lifelong journey that you have embarked on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there,

    Fantastic blog. Your pictures of Harar and Djibouti are simply superb, the best i have seen in a long time.

    Can you please contact me at info.etiopica@gmail.com ? I wish i could send the email but i can't see the address!

    thanx!!

    ReplyDelete